7 Soups That Can Alleviate Period Pain
- Periods are often accompanied by cramps and gastric discomfort due to indigestion
- However there are comfort foods and soups that help with menstrual cramps
- Here are some soups to heal and soothe period pain
Period pain can get the best of us to hold our aching bellies and weep in a corner. The overwhelming emotions, brain fog, and abdominal cramps can altogether be a weary experience.
However, our grannies and mothers have always taught us that it is possible to feel alright even during these testing times, through foods that help with period cramps.
Don't have time to read? Listen instead.
With a little help from traditional medicines and ancient food recipes, we are all aware that soups are soul foods that can have a healing effect on our bodies. Soups made with some powerful ingredients can help reduce inflammation in our bodies and act as comfort food for menstrual cramps.
Here are some best soups for period cramps that can offer healing and comfort during period days.
1. Red bean ginger soup
- We all know that ginger is a superfood when it comes to menstrual health. The nutritional components in ginger juice are often consumed for various health benefits. This root is known to alleviate period pain, and reduce period cramps and bloating. Ginger can also deal with various gastric problems during periods.
- Red beans are known for their nutritional value and health benefits. Being rich in iron, phosphorous, and potassium, they can help in regaining the lost blood during periods. Red beans are also a low-fat source of vegan protein.
- Proteins are essential during that time of the month as they help in staying satiated for longer hours and provide strength to carry out day-to-day activities.
- A nice hot soup made with red bean paste, ginger, and some paprika is a portion of great comfort food and can be one of the best soups for period cramps. This can reduce inflammation and provide comfort.
2. Thai tofu soup
- Thai cuisine has been said to have the most unique ingredients that also have health benefits. Fresh ingredients like galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime, black peppers, red/green chilies, etc. have high amounts of flavonoids that can help in reducing inflammation in the body.
- Thai soup is often made with fresh vegetables like oyster mushrooms, white onions, bamboo shoots, sprouts, etc. Using such vegetables can help in increasing the fiber content of the soup. This can help alleviate period-related constipation or diarrhea.
- Another ingredient that can be used in this soup is tofu. Tofu is made up of soy and is rich in proteins, has a soft consistency, and can be easily used in cooking. Getting this protein is important to have a healthy period.
- A soup packed with these anti-inflammatory ingredients especially galangal, ginger, and lemongrass, and vegan protein like tofu can facilitate a comforting soup meal during periods.
3. Pumpkin cinnamon soup
- Pumpkin is a vegetable rich in carotene, we can tell from its orange color as well. Pumpkin soup is a well-known recipe all over the world; however, its benefits for menstrual health are only recently known. Being a fibrous vegetable, pumpkin can help in increasing the fiber content of your meal and alleviate bloating.
- It is important to use pumpkin seeds in this soup as they are significant for menstrual health. Pumpkin seeds are loaded with magnesium which plays an important role in managing menstrual cramps. The seeds are also rich in omega-3 fats, zinc, and proteins which can reduce menstrual pain.
- The use of cinnamon in this soup is a wise combination, as it is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent which can soothe period cramps. It can also help regulate the insulin levels in your body and regulate other hormones. So go ahead and give this soup for menstruation a try.
4. Garlic turmeric chicken soup
- The good old chicken soup can take away your period blues. Chicken is an iron and protein-rich ingredient that can work wonders for period pain. The protein helps in staying satiated for longer hours, balancing the insulin levels, and regulating the period hormones.
- The use of garlic and turmeric in this soup is not just for adding flavor but also for their benefits in menstrual health. Garlic has been used in ancient medicine for treating various ailments. Studies have stated that garlic can be used as an alternative therapy in the prevention of menstrual disorders. It can help with regulating menstrual flow and balancing hormones during periods. Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory root that acts as an emmenagogue. It regulates the menstrual cycle and increases the flow of blood towards the pelvis.
A soup with these ingredients is bound to make a positive impact on your period.
5. Lentil lemon and date soup
- Lentils are an excellent source of plant-based protein and dietary fiber. Lentils are of various types like brown, green, red, yellow, and black lentils which can be used as per our liking in this soup. They are rich in iron and can help with restoring the lost blood. Including lentils in your diet can help you stay full for longer hours and provide you with fiber and protein.
- Making this soup with dates in it will not only enhance the taste but also improve the nutritional content. Dates are rich in magnesium and iron which makes them a must during period days. Dates can help with regaining blood and alleviating period cramps.
- The use of lemon to balance all the flavors in the soup is essential. Other than the taste, lemon is packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory substances that can help in reducing inflammation during periods.
6. Fish and miso soup
- Fish is a nutritious ingredient with many health benefits. It is a staple in most countries depending on the availability. Fatty fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are a boon for women's health. Consuming these healthy fats has several health benefits and a healthy menstrual cycle is one of them.
- Omega-3 fatty acids can help with lowering period pain and cramps. Fish is also rich in minerals like iron, zinc, magnesium, potassium, calcium, and phosphorous which affect soothing PMS symptoms. Being rich in proteins, fish also aids in hormonal balance and being satiated for longer hours.
- Miso is made from soy and is known for its probiotic properties. It is rich in proteins and phytoestrogens which aid in menstrual health.
A soup with these ingredients can ensure that you get all the nutrients during your periods.
7. Spinach and kale soup
- Periods can often lead to heavy menstrual flow and loss of blood. This can cause your iron levels to go down. As the iron levels drop, energy levels also dip. To make up for this, spinach and kale are the best ingredients.
- Spinach is rich in vitamin A, C, K, B12, folate, iron, and potassium. These nutrients are essential for making new blood and for the normal functioning of the body. Spinach is also high in fiber which can help in relieving constipation, diarrhea, and bloating during periods.
- Kale is rich in vitamin A, E, C, K, manganese, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and copper. It can help relieve period cramps and ease menstrual pain.
A bowl of hot soup with these ingredients can replenish your lost blood and boost your energy levels. This green soup for menstruation is a must-try for a calm and happy period.
Period discomfort is often compounded by accompanying gastric disorders - ranging from constipation to diarrhea. Try out these best soups for period cramps and reap the benefits of their potent ingredients that can help you get through periods.
Eat fresh and stay healthy and make sure you incorporate these healthy food recipes that help with period cramps so that you can have a pain-free period.
Did you like our Article?
- Bajalan Z, et al. Nutrition as a Potential Factor of Primary Dysmenorrhea: A Systematic Review of Observational Studies. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2019;84(3):209-224.
- Najafi, Nastaran, et al. "Major dietary patterns about menstrual pain: a nested case-control study." BMC women's health vol. 18,1 69. 21 May. 2018.
- Daily J, et al. Efficacy of Ginger for Alleviating the Symptoms of Primary Dysmenorrhea: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials. Pain Med. 2015 Dec;16(12):2243-55.
- Jafari F, et al. "Effect of Garlic (Allium sativum) Supplementation on Premenstrual Disorders: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial." Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine: eCAM vol. 2021 9965064. 1 Nov. 2021.
- Hesami S, et al. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial studying the effects of Turmeric in combination with mefenamic acid in patients with primary dysmenorrhoea. J Gynecol Obstet Hum Reprod. 2021 Apr;50(4):101840.
- Harel Z, et al. Supplementation with omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the management of dysmenorrhea in adolescents. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996 Apr;174(4):1335-8.
Leave a Comment