Breakfast Recipes For Good Menstrual health
- Breakfast is crucial during the menstrual phase, providing necessary energy and nutrients.
- Tailored period breakfast recipes alleviate PMS discomforts and support hormonal balance.
- Cycle syncing food regulates the body's natural rhythm for a smoother menstrual experience.
- Including healthy period snacks throughout the day ensures sustained nourishment and energy levels.
It is said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Considering that our body is in a state of fast since its last meal, it does deserve a healthy and nutritious breakfast in the morning! Especially during period days, when a woman's body undergoes significant changes and experiences blood loss and fluid depletion.
It becomes crucial to consume a nutritious breakfast tailored for periods, which can help maintain energy levels and alleviate the discomforts associated with PMS. Start your day right during the menstrual phase with these delicious and nutritious breakfast recipes designed to support your period and combat PMS symptoms.
These period breakfast recipes are specifically tailored to provide comfort and energy while addressing cramps and hormonal fluctuations. Incorporating cycle syncing food into your morning meal can help regulate your body's natural rhythm and promote overall well-being. Don't forget to indulge in healthy period snacks throughout the day for sustained nourishment.
Let us use this blog to understand more about menstrual phase breakfast recipes that also includes comfort foods for period. Making a healthy breakfast to eat on your period with these ingredients can be beneficial for maintaining good energy levels throughout the day in evading the horrors of PMS.
Menstrual phase breakfast recipes
Chickpea Spinach Breakfast Scramble
- Spinach, known for its rich iron content, is beneficial as a breakfast for period cramps during menstruation, as it helps replenish iron stores that may be lost during your period. It also provides essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin A, and folate, which support overall menstrual health.
- Chickpeas are a great plant-based source of protein and fiber, which can help stabilize blood sugar levels and keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer. They also contain magnesium, a mineral known for its ability to alleviate menstrual cramps and promote relaxation that makes it a great PMS breakfast.
Recipe to make Chickpea Spinach Breakfast Scramble Ingredients:
- 1 cup canned chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup fresh spinach (chopped)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the diced bell pepper to the skillet and cook for a few more minutes until the bell pepper softens.
- Add the rinsed chickpeas to the skillet and sprinkle with turmeric powder, cumin powder, salt, and pepper. Stir well to coat the chickpeas with the spices.
- Stir in the chopped spinach and cook until it wilts down.
- Continue cooking for a few more minutes until all the flavors meld together and the chickpeas are heated through.
- Remove from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro.
By enjoying this flavorful and nutrient-rich Chickpea Spinach Breakfast Scramble, you can harness the benefits of spinach's iron and other essential nutrients, along with the protein, fiber, and magnesium content of chickpeas, to support your period health.
Dark Chocolate Oatmeal with Berries and Seeds
Healthy recipes with oats and oatmeal is a tasty, healthy, and fibrous breakfast option that is great for the gut. Oatmeal topped with fresh fruits and crunchy seeds can brighten up your morning. Fibrous foods like oatmeal and fruits help gut microbiota in fighting problems like bloating, diarrhea and constipation during periods that make it a great choice in breakfast for period cramps.
Recipe to make Dark Chocolate Oatmeal With Berries And Seeds
- ½ cup oats
- 1 cup milk (you can also try ½ cup water and ½ cup milk)
- Dark cocoa powder
- Fresh berries- raspberries/strawberries/blueberries (as per your choice)
- Seeds- Flaxseeds/pumpkin seeds/chia seeds/hemp seeds (as per your choice)
- In a bowl add the oats, milk, and cocoa powder and microwave on a high setting for 2 minutes. If you're using a gas cook on medium heat until the oats are soft and the consistency is sticky.
- Mix well and serve in a bowl.
- Top this with fresh berries and crunchy seeds. Serve fresh!
Enjoy this nutritious goodness first thing in the morning as a wholesome option for breakfast during periods.
Avocado Seed Smoothie Bowl for Menstrual Phase Breakfast
- Did you know avocado seeds and menstruation share a deep connect? Avocado seeds are known to contain antioxidants, fiber, and essential fatty acids that can provide comfort during your period.
- They may help alleviate menstrual cramps and promote hormonal balance, making this smoothie bowl a comforting and suitable choice for period-related symptoms.
Recipe to make avocado seed smoothie bowl
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup almond milk (or any plant-based milk of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup (optional, for added sweetness)
- Toppings of your choice (e.g., sliced fruits, nuts, granola)
- Cut the ripe avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop out the flesh. Set the flesh aside for later use, and keep the avocado seed, which holds benefits for menstruation.
- Thoroughly wash the avocado seed to remove any flesh remnants.
- Use a knife to carefully slice the avocado seed into smaller pieces.
- In a blender, combine the avocado seed pieces, ripe banana, spinach, almond milk, chia seeds, and honey or maple syrup (if using). This nutrient-packed smoothie bowl is a perfect choice for a healthy period breakfast, as it incorporates cycle syncing food to support your menstrual phase.
- Blend until you achieve a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl and top it with your favorite sliced fruits, nuts, or granola for added texture and flavor. These additions can turn it into a delightful and comforting comfort food for your period.
By incorporating avocado seed into this smoothie bowl, you can harness its potential benefits for menstruation, including relief from period cramps and support for hormonal balance.
Indulge in this flavorful and nourishing recipe, which also falls into the category of healthy period snacks, to enhance your well-being during your period.
Multigrain Nut Butter Sandwich
- Nut butter is an excellent source of protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
- They are brimming with magnesium, vitamin B6, vitamin E, and omega-3 fats that can fight inflammation in the body and reduce menstrual pain.
Recipe to make Multigrain Nut Butter Sandwich
- Multigrain bread
- Nut butter of your choice (peanut, almond, cashew, walnut, etc)
- Take two slices of any whole grain or multi-grain bread.
- Spread a tablespoon of nut butter of your choice onto the bread slices.
- Place a pan over medium heat, add some butter to the pan. Place the sandwich on the pan and grill on both sides until golden brown.
Make this period recipe for breakfast, and serve while it's still nice and warm!
Spinach Millet Pancakes
- We already told you how spinach is a master ingredient that should not be skipped during periods. Spinach is rich in iron, folate, potassium, magnesium, vitamin A, E, C, K, B12, and fiber.
- Eating spinach can help in regaining the lost iron during menstruating.
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup buttermilk (or plant-based milk of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup millet flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Cooking oil (for greasing the pan)
- Toppings of your choice (e.g., sliced avocados, beans, or other desired toppings)
- In a blender, add fresh spinach, buttermilk (or plant-based milk), vegetable oil, sugar, and salt. Blend until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- In a mixing bowl, combine millet flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Pour the blended spinach mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Heat a pan or griddle over medium heat. Lightly grease the pan with cooking oil.
- Pour a tablespoon of the pancake batter onto the hot pan. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until bubbles start to form on the surface of the pancake.
- Flip the pancake and cook for another 2 minutes, or until both sides are golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Once cooked, remove the pancakes from the pan and serve them warm.
- Top the Spinach Millet Pancakes with sliced avocados, beans, or any other desired toppings.
The ease of making the above recipe coupled with the nourishment that both spinach and millets provide, makes it a popular choice among period breakfast recipes.
Without beverage of some kind, breakfast can be a little incomplete. Here are some healthy beverages you can make part of your breakfast during period days:
- Soothing Ginger Tea: Relieve cramps and reduce inflammation with this calming tea.
- Relaxing Chamomile Tea: Promote relaxation and ease PMS symptoms with this gentle infusion.
- Indulgent Sugar-Free Hot Chocolate: Satisfy cravings guilt-free while enjoying a mood-boosting treat.
- Invigorating Green Tea: Support hormonal balance and enjoy a refreshing caffeine boost.
- Cooling Peppermint Tea: Soothe bloating and cramps with this refreshing and calming beverage.
Incorporating these nourishing teas into your breakfast aligns with cycle syncing principles and promotes your overall menstrual health.
In conclusion, prioritizing your nutrition during your menstrual phase is crucial for a healthy and balanced cycle. By incorporating menstrual phase breakfast recipes, period breakfast recipes, and PMS breakfast options into your routine, you can provide your body with the essential nutrients it needs to support your menstrual health. Including healthy period snacks and comfort food for period cravings ensures you stay nourished and satisfied throughout the day.
Cycle syncing food, such as the inclusion of avocado seed, can offer additional benefits for menstruation, including hormonal balance and relief from period cramps. Avocado seed can be a surprising yet valuable addition to your diet during this time.
Remember, breakfast for period cramps and a nutritious breakfast overall can make a significant difference in your well-being. So, say yes to a wholesome breakfast and embrace the power of nutritious ingredients like spinach, chickpeas, and avocado seed to support your menstrual cycle.
Frequently Asked Questions
During your period, it's important to focus on a balanced and nutritious breakfast. Opt for menstrual phase breakfast recipes that provide essential nutrients to support your well-being. Incorporate period breakfast recipes that include ingredients such as spinach, chickpeas, and avocado seed. These ingredients are rich in iron, fiber, and other essential nutrients that can help replenish lost nutrients and support hormonal balance. Choose comfort foods for period cravings, such as warm oatmeal or a nourishing smoothie bowl. Remember to include healthy period snacks throughout the day to maintain energy levels and satisfy cravings.
Papaya is a fruit that contains an enzyme called papain, which is known to stimulate uterine contractions. Some believe that consuming papaya during periods can increase menstrual flow or cause contractions, potentially leading to discomfort. However, scientific evidence supporting this claim is limited. If you enjoy eating papaya and it doesn't cause any adverse effects or discomfort for you personally, it can be included in as part of menstrual phase breakfast recipes. Listen to your body and make choices based on your individual preferences and any specific reactions you may have.
Beetroot is a nutritious vegetable that can be beneficial for menstruation. It is rich in iron, which helps replenish the iron lost during periods and supports healthy blood flow. The iron content in beetroot can help prevent or alleviate symptoms of iron deficiency anemia that some women may experience during menstruation. Additionally, beetroot is a good source of folate and antioxidants, which support overall menstrual health. Consider incorporating beetroot into your period recipes, such as salads or smoothies, to enhance your nutrient intake during menstruation.
Yes, oats can be a healthy and beneficial food choice during periods. Oats are a great source of fiber and complex carbohydrates, that makes oats a great ingredient for menstrual phase breakfast recipes. They can help keep you feeling full and satisfied, reducing cravings and the likelihood of overeating, and hence can also be used as healthy period snacks. Additionally, oats are rich in vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B6, which may help alleviate menstrual symptoms such as mood swings and bloating. Choose comforting options like warm oatmeal or overnight oats, and add nutritious toppings like fruits, nuts, or seeds for a satisfying and nutritious breakfast during your period.
Did you like our Article?
- Fujiwara T, et al. Skipping breakfast adversely affects menstrual disorders in young college students. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2009;60 Suppl 6:23-31.
Our team of experts frequently monitors developments in the health and wellness field, and we update our articles when new information becomes available.
Dec, 02 2023