Chocolates That Work Wonders For Your Period Cramps
- Period pains and other associated symptoms are prevalent in most women of reproductive age.
- A lot of women tend to crave chocolates on periods.
- Consuming 60%, 80%, or even 90% dark chocolate bars is healthier than other sugar-filled chocolates.
- Dark chocolates combined with berries, nuts, seeds, cinnamon, mint etc., are a great option as a tasty, healthy, nutrient-rich snack for the craving and to reduce PMS symptoms.
Wait! Who has knocked again? Ahh, it is your companion - periods! So, ready for the cycle of crazy hormones, discomfort, headache, lower abdomen, back and leg pain, cramps, bloating, cravings and mood swings?
Well, you are not alone - painful dysmenorrhea affects 90% of women of reproductive age.
Our bodies undergo a lot of stress throughout the menstrual cycle, which increases the release of the stress hormone cortisol, making us crave sweets for period cramps. Among all the sweet things to eat, period chocolate will fill the menstruation cycle with serotonin- the happy hormone.
Eating sweets during periods
- Periods can often have you wondering about the following things:
- Can you get body cramps before your period?
- How to relieve period cramps fast?
- What to eat if periods are irregular or delayed?
- Is eating sweets during periods okay?
High-sugar foods may temporarily ease the pain but can cause bloating, weight gain etc. So what’s the solution for the chocolate craving during period?
- Sugar is an enemy, but dark chocolate sure is a friend.
- It is to be consumed in small quantities as it is calorie-dense.
- Eating a 60%, 80%, or even 90% dark chocolate bar is healthier than just picking up a 40% or 50% dark chocolate bar.
Chocolate has always been a mood-boosting ingredient when it comes to period pain. Read about how dark chocolates act as mood-changing chocolates and work wonders in periods.
1. Dark chocolate with Blueberries
- Dark chocolate is available with several combinations of berries and nuts.
- Dark chocolate with blueberries is a good choice when you feel like having chocolate on your period.
- Blueberries contain antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. They are low in sugar and high in vitamin C, which helps relieve pain during periods.
- Blueberries are light on the digestive tract and aid digestion, which keeps bloating at bay.
- Dark chocolate with a high cocoa content (70% or more) is rich in antioxidants and contains magnesium, which may help relax muscles and relieve cramps.
- It also stimulates the release of endorphins, which can elevate mood and reduce pain perception.
So try out the blueberry-loaded dark chocolate the next time you're chumming!
2. Dark chocolate with Walnuts
- Walnuts are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which possess anti-inflammatory properties and may help reduce menstrual pain and inflammation.
- They are excellent sources of dietary fiber and energy.
- Our bodies require heat to menstruate. Walnuts being warm can naturally produce heat in our bodies which aids menstruation.
- Choosing 70-80% dark chocolate can help you reap the benefits of chocolatey goodness from cocoa beans.
- These small dark-brown slabs are delicious and help to better your emotional state of mind by releasing the much-needed endorphins in your body during periods.
So, nibble on some good dark chocolate with walnuts for the chocolate cravings during periods without guilt!
3. Dark chocolate with Cinnamon
- Cinnamon is a flavourful spice with mighty anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties. It may help reduce inflammation and relax muscles, potentially relieving menstrual cramps.
- It is used- in cooking because of its aromatic nature and in various cultures as herbal medicine.
- Cinnamon paired with dark chocolate is an exotic combination which pleases the taste buds and soothes you on your period.
- Cinnamon helps regulate your insulin levels, which impacts other hormones in your body that regulate the period cycle.
- Cinnamon might help in hormone synchronization and makes the period cycle regular.
- With the anti-inflammatory effects of cinnamon and dark chocolate, the period can be better, so give this one a try!
4. Dark chocolate with Pumpkin seeds
- Pumpkin seeds contain lignans that help regulate a woman's menstrual cycle.
- These seeds are also brimming with micronutrients such as zinc and magnesium, crucial in reducing period PMS symptoms and cramps.
- Adequate magnesium levels may help reduce the severity of menstrual cramps and promote overall relaxation.
- Adequate zinc intake may help balance hormone levels and alleviate symptoms such as bloating and mood swings.
- It also contains omega -3- anti-inflammatory fatty acids.
- Women eating chocolate during their periods are usual but eat the right combo of dark chocolate combined with crunchy pumpkin seeds to get a kick of flavour from the cocoa. Not only the taste, but the combination, can be a boon for hormonal health if consumed wisely.
- Trying out this unique combo proves beneficial for a healthy period with back pain relief and stomach cramp relief.
5. Dark chocolate with Almonds
- Almonds have to be one of the tastiest and healthiest snacks to exist! They have fiber, vitamin E, proteins, and healthy fats.
- Vitamin E, an antioxidant, helps reduce inflammation.
- Almonds can help you prepare for an impending period week. They regulate your hormones and help with tender and swollen breasts during menstruation.
- The combination of dark chocolate and almonds has to be the most delicious healthy snack ever that works well on mood swings. This duo will help you better your period health while putting a smile on your face.
- Almonds are a good source of plant-based protein that regulates blood sugar levels and provides sustained energy.
6. Dark chocolate with Mint
- Consuming mint feels good. It has more benefits than just feeling good. The refreshing scent of mint has a calming effect and can help alleviate stress and anxiety.
- Mint has antispasmodic properties that can help in the easy passing of blood clots and relieve menstrual cramps and menstrual pain.
- Mint also increases the blood flow to the uterus, thus promoting a healthy menstrual cycle because of its antioxidant properties.
- Mint contains menthol, which has natural analgesic properties.
- The combination of dark chocolate and mint is heavenly. The antioxidants in cocoa and the cooling effect of mint make consuming this chocolate a soothing experience.
Nibble on this good stuff and have a soothing period!
Chocolate and menstruation go hand in hand. A woman on her period will grab a bar of chocolate to get that feel-good feeling. The dark chocolate period is a must in a period! These dark chocolate combos can help you get through your periods. But remember, chocolate is calorie-dense, and overconsuming can lead to weight gain, so nibble on small pieces of this delicious medicine only when necessary.
Eating out on period should be mindful, do not crave desserts that will only give you a sugar rush, bloating and weight gain. You can carry these dark chocolate combos in your purse when you dine out and munch to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Severe period symptoms require consultation with a healthcare professional. Remember to exercise, have a balanced diet, eat foods that help you with good menstrual health and reduce PMS, stay hydrated and have a happy period!
Frequently Asked Questions
The following reasons are attributed to the chocolate cravings during periods:
- During the menstrual cycle, the stress hormone cortisol and estrogen levels fluctuate. When cortisol levels increase, women become more metabolically charged, and their appetite stimulates.
- Most women with PMS experience a drop in serotonin levels triggering cravings for carbs because the body uses carbs to make serotonin. Simple sugars like chocolates are metabolized more quickly than complex carbs, offering a quick serotonin fix.
- Other research has linked PMS to a state of low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, in the second half of the menstrual cycle. The blood sugar drops significantly after 1-2 hours, making them crave more carbs.
Women crave chocolate due to:
- Hormonal fluctuations in women cause decreases in levels of serotonin and are associated with increased cravings for sweet and carbohydrate-rich foods, including chocolate.
- Chocolate contains compounds such as magnesium, which may have a muscle-relaxing effect and can help reduce cramps.
- The pleasurable taste and texture of chocolate, and its ability to stimulate the release of endorphins, which are natural mood-lifting and pain-relieving chemicals, make period chocolate the go-to snack.
- Always choose dark chocolate with a higher cocoa content due to its potential health benefits.
Did you like our Article?
- Zellner D, et al. Chocolate craving and the menstrual cycle. Appetite. 2004 Feb;42(1):119-21.
- Souza L, et al. Do Food Intake and Food Cravings Change during the Menstrual Cycle of Young Women? Rev Bras Ginecol Obstet. 2018 Nov;40(11):686-692. English.
- Maharani S, et al. "Dark chocolate's effect on menstrual pain in late adolescents." Belitung Nursing Journal6 (2017): 686-692.
Our team of experts frequently monitors developments in the health and wellness field, and we update our articles when new information becomes available.
Sep, 12 2023
Fact checked By
Jillian Lai Mei Siew
Sep, 05 2023
Fact checked By
Jillian Lai Mei Siew